Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing #19: Web 2.0 Awards

It’s interesting that many of the tools we have been working on are part of the Web 2.0 Awards List. I was glad to see Library Thing, Google Docs, Delicious, Flickr, and Rollyo on the list. I also like the organization of the page. If I am looking for a specific type of page, it would be easy to find on this list. As a librarian, and a teacher, it is important to always be on the lookout for the best, most updated technology available. The Web 2.0 Awards List is a resource to help me know of any new resources or the ranking of already existing ones. When a site makes it to the top three, gets honorable mention, or has been on the list more than once then I can explore it to find its usefulness to my school and community. I would still explore other stuff, but if I am short on time, I can pick one of these resources, evaluate it, and give it a review for teachers and students to read.
One of best sites I found is Lulu Publisher. With this site, one can create books and have them published. It starts as a free service for basic features, but can be upgraded for more elaborated ones. I just have to be cautious of the uses we need or want. Lulu also provides the Aspiring Authors program to help students publish their works. Publishing can even turn into a fundraiser. What a way to get students involved in their school’s fundraisers!
The online desktops are very cool! I browsed through Ghost and watched their introduction video. Ghost can provide the user with flexibility and accessibility since one can access the entire computer: files, programs, email, music, videos, and anything that I currently save on my computers. It would be everywhere and anytime I needed the material.
I also found TuDiabetes.com, which is full of information, blogs, and resources for people with diabetes. I have several family members, students, and parents with this illness, and I know they would benefit immensely from this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment