Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing #18: Online Tools

CLASSROOM RULES

Follow directions.

Respect others.

Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.

Speak with permission.

Ask for permission before leaving the classroom.

Be prepared.

This is an example of a document I uploaded to Google Docs. I edited it and published it both as a website and to the blog as seen above. I have played with Google before, so this time I tried something different. I now have several docs saved on my Google account. I like this tool because I can access it anywhere with an internet connection. As long as I can get Google, I can get my documents. I can also upload my already existent Word documents as well as download the new ones I create to my computer. Google allows downloads as PDFs, Htmls, Word, or Text files. One disadvantage I see with Google is that it is online, so if I am somewhere without internet, I won’t have access to my account.
I also explored a little bit with OpenOffice.org 3. I created a document and a presentation. This software has similar features to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice.org also allows me to save in different formats, including Microsoft Office ones. The biggest advantage I can see is its availability. It is free to download and distribute. Many students who may not be able to afford Microsoft Office can download OpenOffice.org and still have all the same functions and tools. Schools can also download the software for classroom use. However support may not be as available because it’s from other users, so they may not always be available or know the solution to problems.
My favorite part of these tools is that they can be used together. I created docs with OpenOffice.Org and uploaded them to Google Docs, and I can go back and forth between the two; three if you include Microsoft Office. All three together provide more options than just one standing alone. Students can learn to use all of these tools to allow them to have options in creating documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. They can also learn to bring their created products to school and use them with Microsoft Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment