Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing #2: Life Long Learning Habits

Habits for lifelong learning:

The easiest habit for me would be to teach and mentor others. When practicing anything I always look for ways to teach it to someone else. That someone else can be anyone, family, co-worker, student, my own children. After teaching someone, I usually walk away with more confidence in what I am learning. To me, this relates a lot to teaching. In the classroom, I try to learn and prepare everything to teach a lesson. After I teach, I analyze my strengths and weaknesses, and I improve the next time I teach the same lesson. Every time I teach this lesson, I get better and better at it. Practice makes perfect!

On the other hand, the hardest habit would be to view problems as challenges. I can't help but panic a little when something doesn't go according to plan. My first reaction is usually a little panic, followed by frustration, and then comes the realization that I have to resolve the problem. At this point, I focus on the problem at hand and tackle it. It takes me time to start seeing my past problems as challenges that I had to face to learn something. Most of the time, problems for me are just challenging problems, and I need time to adjust before I can resolve effectively.

The tutorial was definitely enlightening. It helped me reflect on my already-existent habits and consider some new exercises to become a better learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment